We are based in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and will be pleased to consider requests for providing a free educational program on sand dune habitat. biodiversity and ecosystem. The Pinhey Sand Dunes, located in Canada’s Capital, are the teaching sites.
Learning Subject: Sand Dune Biodiversity, Habitat & Ecosystem
This program is provided to Schools (Grades 1-12), Colleges, Universities, Organizations. Institutions, Community and the Public.
Our 2021 educational programs include:
(1) ON-SITE, HANDS-ON EDUCATION (Provided only when COVID guidelines permit). This on-site education includes (i) a 15-30 minute talk about the Pinhey Sand Dunes System, the restoration of parts of the system and particularly, the unique and rare sand dune habitat, biodiversity and ecosystem in Canada’s Capital; (ii) A tour of the Pinhey Sand Dunes and the Sanctuary for Butterflies and Pollinators to observe activities of the unique dune biodiversity including insects spiders, butterflies, pollinators, and other arthropods During the tour participants are instructed how to gently capture selected dune organisms, such as various Tiger Beetle species for close observation; and (iii) A 30-60 minute hands-on participation in the restoration of the Pinhey Sand Dunes
Important Note: During 2021-2022 , free Yellow Bus transportation to the dunes and back is available on the first-come, first-served basis. Minimum particpants per bus is 25. Transportation is funded by the Friends of the Environment Foundation.
(2) VIRTUAL DUNE EDUCATION. Due to COVID 19 pandemic, or personal preference, BCI also provides a virtual education program for safe participation and learning. The program focuses on the uniqueness, rareness and the threatened status of sand dunes and their associated bio-ecological components, including habitat, biodiversity and ecosystem. The current Virtual Dune Education & Tour will virtually bring participants to the Pinhey Sand Dunes located in the National Capital Greenbelt, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, to specifically study the physical, geological and particularly the eco-biological features of these sand dunes.
Duration & Presentation Format
- Format A lasts 1 hour, including virtual dune education and tour plus interruptions during the tour for questions and answers and other interactive activities.
- Format B1 lasts 1 hour 30 minutes, including (i) format A presentation; (ii) virtual tour of Sanctuary for Butterflies and Pollinators at Pinhey Sand Dunes; (iii) Insect survival strategies, Mimicry & Camouflage; and (iv) additional interactivity between participants, scientists, and members of BCI Sand Dune Team.
- Format B2 lasts 1 hour 30 minutes, including (i) format A presentation; (ii) virtual tour of Sanctuary for Butterflies and Pollinators at Pinhey Sand Dunes; (iii) Insect ecosystem services; and (iv) additional interactivity between participants, scientists, and members of BCI Sand Dune Team.
To register: First download the above PDF form, fill out (Note: When select “Virtual” type A, B1 or B2 the presentation format that suits you), save, then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, please contact: email@example.com